Niagara Gazette

November 19, 2013

North Carolina murder suspect pleads not guilty in North Avenue shooting

By Rick Pfeiffer
Niagara Gazette

LOCKPORT — A Niagara County grand jury has indicted a North Carolina man on murder and weapons charges in the shooting death of a Falls woman.

Richard Moore, 50, of Winston-Salem, pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of second-degree murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon during a brief arraignment before Niagara County Court Judge Matthew J. Murphy III. Over objections from Moore's public defender, Murphy ordered him jailed in lieu of $300,000 bail.

"He does present a considerable flight risk," Murphy said in setting the bail amount. 

Moore and Cammesoa Marie Williams, 42, also of Winston-Salem, were arrested in the early morning hours of Sept. 28 after Falls police responded to a call of a shooting in the 1800 block of North Avenue. Officers found Moore and Williams at the shooting scene and then took both into custody without incident.

They also found Tijuana Davis, 39, suffering from two gunshot wounds. Witnesses said a "stupid argument that just happened and escalated" had led to the shooting. Investigators said it appeared that Davis had just recently met the couple.

Moore and Williams were reportedly in the Cataract City for a weekend wedding, where they met Davis.

"We were told (Moore and Williams) met (Davis) through a friend and they went back to the victim's apartment (at 1828 North Ave., early Saturday morning)," Detective Lt. Michael Trane said at the time. "They were there, drinking and playing cards."

What happened next left everyone who was in Davis' apartment that morning baffled. Investigators said Williams, Davis and another women began to argue and then began fighting.

"(Moore) said he retrieved a gun and fired a warning shot (in an attempt to stop the fight) that went into the wall," Trane said. "But the fight continued and then he ended up shooting (Davis)."

Davis suffered a gunshot wound to the stomach. Detectives said Moore and Williams then fled from the apartment, but returned a short time later as they were arriving on the scene.

Investigators said Williams then had a gun and shot Davis in the buttocks.

Detectives said they were able to speak to Davis before she was rushed to the Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo. She was rushed into surgery there but died several hours later.

Williams has also been indicted by the grand jury and is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon. She reportedly will not face a murder charge when the indictment against her is unsealed.