Niagara Country Sheriff's deputies responded to Dale Road about 8 p.m. Friday for a report of a car in flames.
The driver of the car, the make of which was not provided, told deputies that he was spotlighting for deer with his son and fiancé and the car's cigarette lighter where the spotlight was plugged into got too hot and burst into flame.
The driver, a 34-year-old Gasport man, said he tried to put the fire out with coffee and then dish soap but was unsuccessful. The three occupants fled the car and ran to a nearby home. No one was injured.
Gasport Chemical Hose Company responded and put out the fire. The extent of damage to the vehicle was not provided.
Spotlighting involves shining a powerful light at deer so they freeze. It is legal in New York to use artificial light to spot deer as long as those firearms, not possessed pursuant to a handgun permit, are locked in the trunk, completely secured in a case, or broken down. Compound bows, long bows and crossbows are broken down if unstrung.