Niagara Gazette — TOWN OF WILSON - When the wicked brew of high wind, rain and rising waters described by forecasters as "Frankenstorm" barreled into Niagara County Monday evening, Jeffrey Marsh and his wife, Martha Frerichs-Marsh, had front-row seats.
The couple chose not to leave their home on Ontario Street, overlooking the shores of Lake Ontario.
Instead, they boarded up a side and bedroom window and hunkered down for what they were warned would be a potentially destructive night of high winds, rain and waves topping 10 feet.
After 32 years of living near the water, Frerichs-Marsh said she'd seen her share of storms and was confident her home would survive another one — even one billed as one of the biggest ever.
"At this point, it's not that bad," Frerichs-Marsh said, reporting from inside her home at around 6:30 p.m. Monday, about an hour and an half after meteorologists predicted the remnants of Hurricane Sandy would descend on Western New York. "If the wind picks up, I might drive up the road to my mom's house. But, right now, I'm not too worried about it."
Forecasts related to the so-called super storm had plenty of individuals and organizations in Niagara County and across Western New York preparing for the worst throughout the day Monday.
Niagara Falls Department of Public Works Director David Kinney assigned a full crew of workers in preparation for the storm. By just after 8 p.m., his team had received three calls involving a downed tree limb and downed trees, including one across the road on Centre Avenue and Aaron Griffin Way and a second in the 2500 block of Porter Road.
"We're starting to get a few more reports here now," said Kinney, who had earlier reported virtually no activity.
City officials said City Hall would be open today, barring a power outage.