Niagara Gazette — Today is the final day for the public to submit comments on the Robert Moses Parkway North and Niagara Gorge draft scoping report.
The report, which was first made available to the public during an open house at the Conference Center Niagara Falls last month, details the three remaining plans for the northern section of the road and is available for review on the state parks website. Partial removal or complete removal is included in all three plans.
Randy Simons, a public information officer for the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, thanked all members of the public who have submitted comments and encouraged those who still wish to comment to submit by today in an email.
“Once this comment period is closed we will respond to all input in the final report on all the options presented,” Simons said.
That report will be made available on the state parks website and at other locations throughout the community.
The parkway removal, which has been long debated, would then move into the next phase of the project planning.
“Next up we will be identifying funding to begin preliminary design work and undertake the environmental review work that needs to be completed,” Simons said.
The infrastructure improvements are a cooperative project with local, state and federal governments all taking part.
Mayor Paul Dyster, who counts the parkway issue as one of the driving forces behind his interest in entering politics, said that people should pay close attention to the many small differences between the three plans.
“We’re really looking for input because there are three very different options,” Dyster said during a phone interview on Tuesday.
The two options that include removal to Findlay Drive may look the same at a glance, but small details — like the type of traffic that will remain in the park — can make a big difference in the end result, Dyster said.