BUFFALO — MAKE YOUR PET COMFY
When traveling with your pet, be sure to:
• Pack a collapsible water bowl, your pet’s familiar food and a favorite toy.
• Ask in advance if a hotel charges an additional cleaning fee or requires a deposit.
• Pack plastic bags for easy cleanup.
• Make sure your dog has an additional tag with the resort’s address in case it gets lost.
Adele Kelly's, AAA manager in Buffalo, writes her monthly travel advice column in Thursday's paper.
BUFFALO — MAKE YOUR PET COMFY
Lexi's Place: A safe haven for teens battling suicide, sexual abuse and depression
In a perfect world, a 14-year-old wouldn’t know exactly how it feels to try suicide.
An 11-year-old who reaches out to the unwanted kids at school would not be thrown against a locker and bullied by other teens trying to make her feel small.
And surely no teen would have a father who, when she was small, would give her to his friends for sex.
All those things happened to the teens at Lexi’s Place.
- Sip the Niagara Wine Trail's best in one location The Niagara Wine Trail reveals it's sweetness slowly, and only to those dedicated enough to spend the time. There are 27 wineries and to sample a taste of each requires much driving through the backroads of the Niagara region, and far too much sipping to make driving a logical possibility. That's what makes the trail's 6th annual Wine and Culinary event such a good idea. Wine lovers who've always wanted to explore the new and unusual offerings of the 14-year-old wine trail, can do so next weekend, all in one place.
Niagara gardeners take part in fest's Open Gardens program
As they looked out over the near-half-acre that is the Blyth garden in the Town of Tonawanda, a visitor asked Linda Blyth if they ever get weeds.
FIT FOR LIFE: The components, signs of an effective diet
According to the latest research, “keto diets” or very low-carb diets are not more effective long-term than other diet methods. A wide range of diets work and I won’t debate the value of each and every diet or method out there, but the keys to a successful diet need to take the following into consideration:
Terrariums — for the love of nature
Terrarium workshops by Sara Johnson of Sylvatica
Local fire departments display their antique fire trucks at Canal Fest
Canal Fest premiered a new event on Thursday afternoon with the first Vintage Fire Truck Muster, featuring antique firefighting vehicles from as early as 1872.
Falls debutante program aims to teach girls the art of success
Many of the young girls in the newest debutante class in Niagara Falls have bigger challenges in their lives than practicing curtsies and writing thank-you notes.
- LOCKPORT: Farm couple shares organic dairy farming methods. When Tina Kowalski is out grocery shopping and she sees someone pick up a carton of organic milk, she sometimes walks over to thank them. If that carton is produced by the Upstate Farms dairy cooperative, there's a good chance it contains milk from one of the 60 dairy cows on her Lockport Farm. And she just loves those cows.
NATURAL HEALTH: Do you really know what you are eating?
Many individuals fall for words like “all natural,” “heart healthy” and pretty pictures of fruits and vegetables when shopping for groceries. These very misleading marketing ploys are partially responsible for the rising numbers of those diagnosed with heart disease and diabetes and people suffering from obesity even though they are eating foods that claim to benefit their health.
Local venues follow trend, offer free public exercise programs
Following a trend of public, outdoor exercise programs, a number of local venues are offering their own free events aiming to get residents outside and active during the summer.
- More Features Headlines
- Lexi's Place: A safe haven for teens battling suicide, sexual abuse and depression