Niagara Gazette — I believe in doing both HIIT and LISS.
• You can’t do HIIT five to six days a week because eventually it will have a negative impact on your weight training, thus interfering with lean muscle growth, which is not good.
• Many people have legitimate orthopedic, and/or cardiac reasons to avoid HIIT, so LISS is their only option.
• New gym goers may not have the cardiac endurance, coordination, confidence or a strong enough baseline fitness level to begin with HIIT.
• HIIT could be dangerous if not used correctly and could lead to injury.
• When working around any injury, LISS may be the only form of exercise/cardio you are able to do in a pain-free fashion.
I’m a firm believer that both HIIT and LISS cardio each have unique benefits. I feel they both should be incorporated into your routines.
Chris Tybor is a personal trainer and owner of Christfit, which has locations in Lewiston and Niagara Falls. For more information visit www.chrisfit.net.