Niagara Gazette — From the majestic Niagara Falls to the shore of Lake Ontario to the Erie Canal and everywhere in between, Niagara County is filled with beauty. Too often in our busy lives we forget to “stop and enjoy the view.”
Any occasion or sunny day is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy a walk or hike. There are walking paths and hiking trails across Niagara County. Visit our website at www.CCENiagaraCounty.org for a list of trails and neighborhood walking routes that we have gathered. There are a variety of places to enjoy from paved paths to advanced hiking trails.
Add a picnic to your walk or hike to make the event an outing for the day. Here are some easy rules to remember when planning your picnic hike:
• Carry in – Carry out. Do not leave any trash in the parks.
• Safety first. Make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you will be back, wear proper shoes and bring extra water.
• Keep your lunch cold and include energy food like whole grains and protein.
• A cell phone is handy, but there are places in the Niagara Gorge where you cannot get a signal. Fill out the trail register located at the trailhead and indicate the time.
• Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle when parking at a trail head.
The following salad recipe is light to carry and a very good source of protein and fiber. It’s easy to make and I like to bring the salad dressing on the side adding it right before I eat.
As you are hiking along, make sure to watch your step and remember to enjoy nature around you. Bring your camera and share your wonderful day and the beauty of Niagara County with those who weren’t able to join you. CCE Niagara County is holding a photo contest this summer. If you’d like to submit a picture of Niagara County, visit our website for details at www.CCENiagaraCounty.org.