Man loses $1,000 in failed parrot purchase
The Niagara County Sheriff’s Office said a 56-year-old man reported he was buying two Congo African grey parrots from a Midland, Texas man, which the victim found on a website. The victim was reportedly told to wire $1,007 to a female at a Walmart in Midland, a Walmart which he did not have an address.
After the wire transfer was complete, the victim told the sheriff’s office he was contacted again and told he needed to make another wire transfer of $900 for transportation fees. The victim decided to cancel the transaction and requested the money back. Deputies attempted to contact the Texas man, with no success.
The FBI office in Buffalo was contacted, but the money lost didn’t meet the threshold for the FBI to investigate. A report was filed with the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
• BURGLARY: Investigators are looking for a juvenile suspect in connection with an attempted burglary in the 400 block of 13th Street. A 40-year-old woman told police she heard noises coming from her son’s bedroom at 10:20 a.m. Tuesday and sent her daughter to check on them. The daughter entered the bedroom and saw a 13-year-old boy attempting to disconnect a PlayStation3 game system. The teen climbed out the bedroom window and ran away down an alley.
• SHOOTING: Police are investigating a shooting incident in the 400 block of 20th Street. Officers responded to a call of “shots fired” at 8:43 p.m. Tuesday and witnesses told them they saw two suspects firing shots from a silver mini-van. The witnesses reported hearing four shots. The mini-van was last seen going south on 20th Street.
• ARREST: An Angola woman was arrested for drunken driving after a traffic stop at 37th Street and Pine Avenue at 10:35 p.m. Tuesday. Andrea M. Martorana, 26, 1061 Beach Road, was charged with driving while intoxicated and no seat belt.
• SHOOTING: Officers are looking into a shooting incident in the 600 block of Ninth Street. Witnesses told officers they saw several people arguing outside at 12:15 a.m. Wednesday and then heard three gunshots. Police said no one was hit by the shots.
Town of Lockport
• DWI: Brett C. Backes, 23, 6169 Keller Ave., Newfane, was charged Saturday with driving while intoxicated. The Niagara County Sheriff’s Office said Backes was reportedly seen running a red light at Upper Mountain and Saunders Settlement roads while talking on a cell phone. While speaking with Backes, a deputy determined Backes was intoxicated. His blood alcohol content was measured at 0.2 percent, according to a chemical test.
• DWI: Jillian R. Barr, 28, 749 1/2 Pierce Ave., Niagara Falls, was charged at 12:20 a.m. Tuesday with DWI. Barr had a blood alcohol content of 0.13 percent, according to the report.