Niagara Gazette


March 10, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published March 7

For the period of Feb. 18 to 24, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 127 calls. The total number of service calls to date in 2013 is 927.

• FIRE: On Feb. 20, Engine 3’s crew, consisting of Capt. Aldo Orsi and Firefighters Risky Sanabria, Chris Finitz, and Adam Farinas, responded, at 12:14 p.m., to the 3500 block of North Avenue for a report of a child burned. Upon arrival, the engine company determined that a child had accidentally spilled scalding hot food on his young brother. After treating the child for his moderate burns on his upper body, the youngster was transported to Children’s Hospital in Buffalo for further evaluation and treatment.

• FIRE: On Feb. 20, Platoon 4 was sent, at 10:20 p.m., to a structure fire in the 1300 block of Ashland Avenue. Squatters, staying in the condemned building, had illegally connected the gas furnace in the structure, which then sparked the fire. Three adults were displaced and damage was estimated at $5,000.

• MEDICAL: On Feb. 22, Engine 7 was dispatched, at 6:04 p.m., to the 300 block of 70th Street for a call of an unresponsive man. After supplying oxygen therapy to the patient, he started to become conscious. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for additional treatment. Falls firefighters responded to 56 emergency medical service calls during this period. 

• FIRE: On Feb. 23, Platoon 3 was sent, at 12:11 p.m., to an apartment building in the 900 block of Ontario Avenue for a fire started by unattended cooking. The blaze was confined to the kitchen, but fire and smoke damage was pegged at $12,000. Working smoke detectors alerted the occupants of the 15-unit complex and they were all able to safely evacuate. There were no injuries.

• FIRE: On Feb. 23, a burned out 1998 Buick was discovered, at 2:33 p.m., in the 900 block of Deveaux Street. The vehicle had been reported stolen about eight hours earlier. Evidence collected by the fire investigator suggests arson, though the case remains under investigation. Damage was set at $1,500.


Text Only | Photo Reprints
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
SKorea Ferry Toll Hits 156, Search Gets Tougher Video Shows Possible Syrian Gas Attack Cubs Superfans Celebrate Wrigley's 100th Raw: Cattle Truck Overturns in Texas Admirers Flock to Dole During Kansas Homecoming Raw: Erupting Volcanoes in Guatemala and Peru Alibaba IPO Could Be Largest Ever for Tech Firm FBI Joining Probe of Suburban NY 'Swatting' Call U.S. Paratroopers in Poland, Amid Ukraine Crisis US Reviews Clemency for Certain Inmates Raw: Violence Erupts in Rio Near Olympic Venue Raw: Deadly Bombing in Egypt Raw: What's Inside a Commercial Jet Wheel Well Raw: Obama Arrives in Japan for State Visit Raw: Anti-Obama Activists Fight Manila Police Motels Near Disney Fighting Homeless Problem Michigan Man Sees Thanks to 'bionic Eye' S.C. Man Apologizes for Naked Walk in Wal-Mart Chief Mate: Crew Told to Escape After Passengers
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page