DWI charges after Lockport Road accident
A Sanborn man was arrested for DWI following an accident on Lockport Road on Friday night.
Deputies were called to Lockport Road about 7 p.m. Friday for a report of an accident with an injury and found a pickup in the front yard of 3828 Lockport Road, up against a chain-link fence damaged by the truck.
The driver, Stanley E. Aldrow, was still behind the wheel of the truck. He told an arriving deputy, "Get your (expletive) light off of me."
Deputies said he appeared intoxicated and had to tell Aldrow four times to exit the truck before he would comply. He failed field sobriety tests and was taken into custody. He refused to submit to a breath test, according to the report.
Aldrow, 43, 5818 Townline Road, Sanborn, was charged with DWI and refusal to take a breath test.
Discarded ashes cause of garage fire
A detached garage at 430 Michigan St. went up in flames Monday afternoon when discarded ashes from a wood-burning stove ignited several containers of gasoline, causing an explosion.
Lockport Fire Department responded to the fire at 1:33 p.m. The blaze took about 30 minutes to subdue.
The ashes had been placed in a cardboard box in the garage. They were still hot enough to ignite the cardboard box, which ignited some nearby wood, causing the gasoline containers to explode, according to Assistant Fire Chief Matt Streckewald.
The garage is a total loss, Streckewald said. A nearby shed and fence were also badly burned. A large pine tree between the garage and the house stalled the flames from reaching the home.
“If we had arrived five minutes later, the house would have burned,” Streckewald said. The fire was controlled before reaching neighboring homes.
Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the structure and an additional $20,000 for the loss of content, including a vintage car that the owner was restoring. There were no injuries reported.