Niagara Gazette

January 13, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Jan. 12

Staff Reports
Niagara Gazette

— For the period of Dec. 24 to Jan. 6, 2013 the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 253 calls. The total number of service calls for 2012 was 6,327.

• FIRE: On Dec. 24, Platoon 2 responded, at 11:29 a.m., to a garage fire in the 3600 block of Dudley Avenue. Careless use of smoking materials was determined to be the cause of the fire that caused $1,000 damage to the structure and contents.

 
• FIRE: On Dec. 24. an electrical short in a kitchen stove, at 3:42 p.m., sent Platoon 2 to an apartment in the 600 block of Buffalo Avenue. The fire was quickly extinguished and damage was set at $250. 

 
• FIRE: On Dec. 31, careless smoking was the reason for a fire, at 10:30 a.m., in an apartment complex in the 8500 block of Krull Parkway. Engine 9’s crew, consisting of Captain Gary Chambers and Firefighters Dave Barr, Gil Burke, and Eric Barlow, quickly stretched a hose line into the apartment to douse the fire. The blaze began in a mattress and spread to the contents of the room. Damage was pegged at $10,000. The Red Cross assisted the occupant of the apartment with temporary living arrangements.

 
• FIRE: On Jan. 3, Platoon 4 was dispatched, at 5:13 p.m., to the 1100 block of James Avenue for a kitchen fire. Damage was estimated at $3,000. The fire was caused by unattended cooking.

 
• FIRE: On Jan. 4, Fire Captain Dave McGovern, along with Firefighters Ryan Garrow, Larry Quarcini, and Thomas Cutler, of Engine 8, responded at 6:18 p.m., to another kitchen fire in the 500 block of 24th Street. Once again, unattended cooking was the cause. Damage was set at $300.

 
• NOTE: You’ve heard it again and again, but children playing with matches or lighters are still the leading cause of fire-related deaths and injuries for kids younger than 5-years-old. Always keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach. Store flammable materials such as gasoline, kerosene, and flammable cleaning supplies outside of your home and away from kids.