Niagara Gazette

February 25, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Feb. 23

Staff Reports
Niagara Gazette

— For the period of Feb. 4 to 17, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 227 calls. The total number of service calls to date in 2013 is 800.

• RESCUE: On Feb. 6, Engine 8 and Truck 1 used their tools to free a teacher stuck in an elevator at Gaskill Middle School.

• FIRE: On Feb. 7, a full assignment from Platoon 4 was sent, at 6:31 a.m., to a rooming house in the 1100 block of Main Street for a report of a structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered that a resident had started a blanket on fire in his second floor room. It was quickly extinguished and damage was minimal. Fire investigators discovered a large number of missing or dead batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the structure. Firefighters replaced many of the batteries and violation notices were sent to the building owner.

• FIRE: On Feb. 10, a fire, at 10:41 a.m., on a second floor porch of a home in the 1800 block of Whitney Avenue sent crews into action. Platoon 2 responded and found an electrical short in the wiring powering the first floor porch light had started a fire in the floor of the porch above. Damage was estimated at $500.

• FIRE: On Feb. 10, Platoon 1 was dispatched, at 11:50 p.m., to the 3200 block of Ninth Street for a kitchen fire. The occupant of the residence had started cooking on his stovetop and forgot about it while watching television. When he discovered the fire, he attempted to remove the pan from the stove and in the process spilled the hot grease on himself. The victim suffered burns on his upper body and feet. he was taken to the Erie County Medical Center for further treatment of his injuries. Damage was pegged at $1,000.

• HAZMAT INCIDENT: On Feb. 11, an erroneous mixture of pool chemicals at Gaskill Middle School, at 9:27 a.m., caused a reaction that produced a hazardous gas cloud. The school was immediately evacuated and responding crews donned their self-contained breathing apparatus to proceed to the problem area and mitigate the problem. The school was closed for the day and approximately three hours later the air in the school was declared safe.

• FIRE: On Feb. 12, another unattended cooking fire, at 8:15 p.m., sent Platoon 3 to the 1800 block of Willow Avenue. The rapid response limited damage to $500. Violation notices were issued to the building owner because there were no working smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors present. 

• FIRE: On Feb. 13, unattended cooking was the cause of a structure fire, at 9:29 a.m., in the 2000 block of Niagara Street. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

• FIRE: On Feb. 15, Platoon 3 was dispatched, at 8:05 p.m., to the 200 block of 61st Street for a house fire. The resident said she had accidentally knocked over a candle in her living room, starting the fire. Engine 7’s crew, consisting of Capt. Jeff Meacham and firefighters Frank Fortunato, and Jason Cafarella, stretched a hose line to the fire and extinguished the heavy flames in the room. Damage to the building and its contents was set at $10,000. 

• FIRE: On Feb. 17, a large structure fire, at 8:11 a.m., sent Platoon 1 to the 1300 block of Ashland Avenue. The fire, which was caused by children playing with matches, caused $23,000 worth of damage and displaced five people.

• NOTE:  Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the home. In the event of a stovetop grease fire, you should use a portable fire extinguisher or simply put a lid over the pan to smother the fire. Do not apply water to fire.