• FIRE: On March 2, Engine 4 and Truck 1 were sent to the Robert Moses Parkway near the John Daly Boulevard exit, at 5:56 p.m., for a call of a tour bus on fire. Fortunately, there were no passengers on the bus when a mechanical problem started a fire in the engine compartment. Damage was listed at $3,000.
• NOTE: Beware of cigarettes! According to the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA), cigarettes are the number one cause of fire deaths in the United States, killing about 1,000 people per year. Most of the fires are started when ashes or butts fall into couches or chairs. If you smoke, be especially careful around upholstered furniture. Never smoke in bed. And be sure cigarettes are completely out before you toss them in the trash.