Family members revived a 4-year-old boy who was pulled unconscious and unresponsive from a pool on Friday night on Saunders Settlement Road.
Niagara County Sheriff's deputies were called to the address about 7:45 p.m. for a possible drowning but before they arrived were updated that the child was breathing.
A family member said the child had been standing on stairs to the in-ground pool when he went into the water, going underwater. The family member thought the boy was swimming but quickly realized the child was not moving underwater. It was later determined the child had actually fallen in the pool.
The boy was blue in the face and not breathing when pulled from the water. It appeared he was choking on food. An adult finger-swept his mouth and dislodged the food, at which point the child began throwing up more food and started to breath properly.
He was evaluated and released by paramedics at the family's request.