FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Aug. 3
Staff Reports Niagara Gazette
For the period of July 15 to 28, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 389 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 3,811.
• FIRE: On July 17, a fire, that originated in a 1997 Dodge at 1:33 a.m., spread to some adjacent vehicles in the 500 block of 10th Street. Crews from Engine 4, Engine 8, and Truck 1 responded to the fire, which started in the engine compartment of the Dodge, and spread to a 2002 Jaguar and a 1997 Mercedes Benz. Total damage was $6,000.
• INCIDENTS: On the night of July 19, during a severe rainstorm, firefighters were dispatched to over 80 calls involving downed power lines, trees that had toppled onto houses, flooded basements, cars stranded in flooded areas and power outages.
• FIRE: On July 20, a house fire was called in, at 12:26 p.m., in the 2200 block of LaSalle Avenue. Unattended cooking was the cause of the blaze which did $22,000 damage to the building and contents.
• FIRE: On July 20, a structure fire at 464 Fifth St., at 6:18 p.m., sent multiple crews to the scene. Heavy fire was present on the first floor when firefighters arrived. An upstairs tenant was able to alert the first-floor tenant to evacuate the building before she became trapped.Total damage to the building and contents was $45,000. The cause of the fire remains undetermined and is still under investigation.
• FIRE: On July 28, Platoon 2 was sent, at 11:21 p.m., to the scene of a fire in a vacant structure in the 1900 block of Ferry Avenue. The cause of the fire is still under investigation and damage was estimated at $10,000.