Niagara Gazette

June 10, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published June 10

Staff Reports
Niagara Gazette

For the period of May 20 to 26, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 110 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 2,514.

• FIRE: On May 20, a fire in a toaster oven, at 4:12 p.m., spread to the kitchen table and activated the sprinkler system in an apartment complex in the 700 block of 10th Street. Platoon 4 responded and while fire damage was limited due to the sprinkler, there was water damage to the floor of the kitchen and to floors below. Fire crews remained on the scene for 90 minutes assisting in the clean up.

• HAZMAT: On May 22, a bottle containing an unknown substance was discovered, at 9;10 a.m., in the middle of the road in the 9300 block of Read Avenue. Fire crews and the Haz-Mat team from the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station were summoned to the scene to investigate. After safely securing the container, it was sent to the Niagara County Crime Lab for analysis. It was determined that the duct taped covered pop bottle only contained gasoline.

• FIRE: On May 24, Engine 4 and Truck 1 from Platoon 2 were sent, at 10:36 p.m., to a vehicle fire in the 1000 block of Niagara Street. A ruptured fuel line on a Jeep Cherokee was the cause of the fire that resulted in $3,000 damage. 

• FIRE: On May 26, Engine 3 was sent, at 7;10 p.m., to the 1800 block of Pierce Avenue for a report of a 2005 Audi on fire. An electrical malfunction in the dashboard area was the reason for the fire. Damage to the vehicle was estimated at $5,000. 

• FIRE: On May 26, Platoon 2 was dispatched, at 8:07 p.m., to the 1100 block of Pierce Avenue for a garage fire. Responding firefighters found the garage fully engulfed in flames. The fire appears to have been intentionally set and remains under investigation. Damage was pegged at $10,000.

• FIRE: On May 26, a stolen 1999 Chrysler Sebring was found on fire, at 11:46 p.m., in the 1300 block of LaSalle Avenue. Numerous items were reportedly stolen from the vehicle before it was set on fire. Investigators collected evidence from the scene and the investigation is continuing. Damage was listed at $2,000.