Niagara Gazette


January 7, 2014

Fatal 26th Street fire may have been sparked by electrical problem

Niagara Gazette — An early an morning blaze on Tuesday claimed the life of a Falls man.

Fire officials had still not identified the male victim on Tuesday night, saying the county coroner’s office was still trying locate the man’s relatives.

The fire was called in around 3:31 a.m., and Falls police were first on the scene at the one-and-a-half story home in the 500 block of 26th Street.

“There was heavy smoke coming from the top floor where the apartment (that was on fire) was located,” Falls Fire Chief Tom Colangelo said. “The officers who were there tried to enter the home, but when they reached the door to the apartment the heat and heavy smoke forced them back out.”

Firefighters were able to break through the door of the apartment and once inside found the one room living space fully engulfed in flames.

“There was heavy fire right inside the door,” Colangelo said, “and the victim was found right in the doorway.”

The man was dead at the scene and Colangelo said an autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death. The chief said the apartment did have a smoke detector.

“Right now, the it’s looking like the cause (of the blaze) may have been electrical,” Colangelo said.

The chief said because the fire was contained to the one-room apartment, the high winds and sub-zero conditions at the time were not a factor in battling the blaze.

However, a fire hydrant directly in front of the home was frozen when fire fighters arrived.

A family living in a first floor apartment at the home was successfully evacuated.

Red Cross volunteers were at the scene and provided emergency assistance to the family. The two adults and a child were provided with temporary shelter in a hotel in Niagara County, according to area Red Cross spokesperson Jay Bonafede. They were also given food supplies and clothing.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Raw: Orthodox Christians Observe Easter Rite Ceremony Marks 19th Anniversary of OKC Bombing Raw: Four French Journalists Freed From Syria Raw: Massive 7.2 Earthquake Rocks Mexico Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Raw: Faithful Celebrate Good Friday Worldwide Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page