• NOTE: For students and others who rent, the following are good questions to ask a potential landlord:
1. Are working smoke alarms installed?(Preferably in each bedroom, interconnected to sound all if any one detects smoke).
2. Are there at least two ways to exit your bedroom and building?
3. Do the upper floors of the building have at least two interior stairs, or a fire escape?
4. Are the existing electrical outlets adequate for all appliances, computers, printers and electronics that you use, without the need for extension cords?
5. Are there EXIT signs in the building hallways to indicate accessible escape routes?
6. Does the building have a fire alarm system installed and maintained?
7. Has the building’s heating system been inspected recently?
8. Is the building address clearly posted to allow emergency services to find you quickly in event of an emergency?