For the period of Nov. 11 to 24, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 214 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 5,836.
• INCIDENT: On Nov. 14, Platoon 1 sent crews at 3:35 a.m. to the 1100 block of North Avenue to assist Falls police in locating a lost 4-year-old child. After about an hour's search, Engine 3's crew, consisting of Captain Mike Burke and Firefighters Anthony Ross, Nicholas Pino, and Larry Quarcini, found the child asleep in a wooden crate against a fence in the alley. Despite being outside in 38 degree temperatures, the child seemed to be OK. He was warmed up in a fire department vehicle before being transported to Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center for further evaluation. Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of this incident.
• FIRE: On Nov. 18, Platoon 1 sent a full assignment, at 3:55 p.m., to the 900 block of Niagara Avenue for a report of a kitchen fire. A woman who was boiling baby bottle nipples to sanitize them forgot she was doing so and left her apartment building. The bottle nipples eventually melted in the pot, causing a fire. While fire damage to the apartment was minimal, smoke damage was extensive.
• FIRE: On Nov. 19, a garage fire at 3:32 p.m. in the 400 block of 20th Street sent Platoon 3 to the scene. A man and woman were found to be living in the vacant, unsecured detached garage and may have been burning material for heat. They "overheated" the garage and the fire spread to piles of clothing and a mattress and eventually the garage structure itself. Damage was listed at $10,000.
• FIRE: On Nov. 24, a fire in a vacant house at 4:11 a.m. in the 1100 block of Pierce Avenue dispatched Platoon 1 to the scene. Heavy fire conditions were encountered on the second floor of the home and flames burned through the roof. The fire was determined to be intentionally set and a suspect has been arrested. Niagara Falls Police Department arson detectives, along with Falls Fire investigators, are working diligently on this and other current cases The structure was a total loss and demolition costs are pegged at $15,000.
• SAFETY NOTE: Residents are reminded to check their fireplaces during the winter holiday and heating seasons. Fireplaces should be kept clean and covered with a screen to keep sparks from jumping out. Only wood should should be burned in the fireplace because paper and other materials can escape while burning and ignite nearby items. Never burn any plastic materials. Don't leave a fire burning unattended and make sure a fire is completely extinguished before leaving the house or going to bed. Have your chimney professionally cleaned once a year.