Suspect charged in shooting
A Falls man has been charged in a shooting that took place late Saturday night in the 2200 block of Ontario Avenue.
Police responded to a call of a shooting victim at Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center at 11 p.m. and found a 20-year-old male who was suffering from a gunshot wound to the back of his left shoulder. The victim told officers he had no idea who had shot him or where the shooting took place.
Investigators were able to find a crime scene in front of 2203 Ontario Ave. and recovered a spent 12 gauge shotgun shell there. They also followed a blood trail that went west on Ontario Avenue to 22nd Street and then south on 22nd Street.
The victim was taken to the Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo and remains hospitalized there with nonlife-threatening wounds.
Tuesday morning, detectives arrested Rashaun Lavon Abrams, 27, 2205 Ontario Ave., and charged him with first-degree assault, second-degree menacing and criminal use of a firearm.
• THEFT: Two men may face charges after they were caught stealing metal from a construction site at 56th Street and Buffalo Avenue. Police were alerted to the theft at 11 p.m. Sunday and officers stopped two suspects, in a pickup truck, moments later at 61st Street and Buffalo Avenue. Officers found two 6-foot sections of railroad track, that had been taken from the construction site in the rear of the truck. The investigation is continuing.
• THEFT: Officers are looking into a theft from the 1100 block of 11th Street. A business owner told police that sometime between 5 p.m. Sunday and 6 a.m. Monday two men hopped a fence that surrounded his property and stole a video surveillance camera on the side of his building. The camera recorded the suspects and the theft. The suspects also smashed the window of a car and stole a speedometer.
• THEFT: Police are investigating a truck break-in in the 7200 block of Stephenson Avenue. A 46-year-old man told officers that sometime between 8 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Saturday someone entered his unlocked 2010 Toyota Tacoma pickup. The victim said two nail guns and an Intoxilator were taken.
• ARREST: A Falls woman was arrested after a domestic incident in the 1600 block of Niagara Street at 6:40 p.m. Monday. Estella Marie Green, 45, 554 Seventh St., Apt. 2, was charged with second-degree criminal contempt.
• ROBBERY: Officers are looking for a suspect in the robbery of a convenience store in the 1500 block of 18th Street. A cashier told police that a man entered the store at 9:21 p.m. Monday, brandishing a silver handgun. The victim said the suspect approached the front counter of the store and demanded money from the cash register. The cashier gave the suspect an undisclosed amount of cash in a plastic bag and the gunman fled the store, going south.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested on drunken driving charges after a traffic stop in the 3000 block of McKoon Avenue at 5:35 p.m. Saturday. Jimmie L. Palmer, 58, 3721 DeVeaux St., was charged with driving while intoxicated and failure to keep right.
• BURGLARY: Police are investigating a burglary in the 400 block of 27th Street. A 27-year-old woman told officers that sometime between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m. Saturday someone broke into her apartment by unknown means. The victim said a 47-inch flat screen TV was taken.
• BURGLARY: Scott M. Goodman, 36, 5785 Townline Road, Cambria was charged with second-degree burglary and petty larceny Monday. According to the report, Goodman had a neighbor's prescription for hydrocodone filled at a pharmacy without permission and took some of the pills out of the bottle. The 41 pills in the prescription bottle were secured in a Niagara County Sheriff's Office evidence locker.