LOCKPORT — A city man accused of savagely attacking a 7-year-old girl on New Year’s Eve has accepted a plea deal.
David L. Alfonso, 28, plead guilty to one count of first-degree attempted assault and will face a sentence of up to 15 years in prison on Sept. 30.
Alfonso was originally charged with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree assault and second-degree strangulation after police say he attacked his girlfriend’s 7-year-old daughter on Dec. 31.
Alfonso and his attorney, David Douglas, had been seeking a 10-year sentence cap. During a hearing Thursday, Douglas said prosecutors opposed the sentencing cap.
"That means the maximum sentence is five to 15 years, with post-supervision of five years," Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas told Alfonso.
Alfonso told Farkas he understood the charges and to what he was pleading guilty.
Both the mother of the girl and Douglas left Monday morning's hearing without comment, according to the Buffalo News.
Lockport police responded to a woman’s frantic 911 call around 2 p.m. Dec. 31 that a man was “killing my baby” at 79 Monroe St.
Police responded and found Alfonso covered in blood at the intersection. They had to use a Taser to subdue him.
According to police, Alfonso had choked the girl until she blacked out, then tried to rip off the girl’s jaw and rip out her teeth and tongue. Police said the mother stabbed Alfonso in an attempt to stop the assault, but that it had no effect. The victim’s mother was not charged.
The girl fled the scene and ran to her grandmother’s house, a few blocks away.
Police never released a motive for the attack but family of the victim blamed bath salts.
By accepting the plea deal Monday, Alfonso avoids a trial that was to have started July 29.