Niagara Gazette — LOCKPORT — A prominent former Falls and Lewiston chef and restaurateur will arrive at a federal prison to begin a decade behind bars on Feb. 13.
Six days later, he’ll be sentenced to a year in the Niagara County Jail for his guilty plea to sexually abusing a young girl.
The sentences for Filippo Inglima will run concurrently. After his release from prison, he is expected to be immediately deported back his native country of Italy.
Inglima’s federal sentence stems from his guilty plea to a charge that he conspired to bring marijuana into the United States and send cocaine into Canada as part of an international drug smuggling ring.
He had been scheduled to be sentenced in the sex abuse case on Wednesday, but federal prosecutors told the Niagara County District Attorney that if he received a local jail term, he would have to serve that before beginning his federal time.
“We decided to delay our sentencing until he surrenders to the federal authorities,” Assistant District Attorney Richard Zucco said. “That way he can do both sentences concurrently.”
Inglima waived his right to return to Niagara County Court on Feb. 19 to be sentenced and waived his right to speak to either Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas, or his victim, at that time.
A Niagara County grand jury indicted Inglima on four counts of first-degree sexual abuse, one count of second-degree sexual abuse, three counts of third-degree sexual abuse and a single count of endangering the welfare of a child in November 2012. He pleaded guilty in March.
Inglima was accused of “sexually touching” and having “sexual contact” with a then 14-year-old girl beginning in July 2004 and continuing that contact until July 2005.
He was also charged with sexually abusing the same victim, now 21, while she worked at a South End restaurant in the Falls in July 2011.