Niagara Gazette — The iconic Maid of the Mist tour boats will begin boarding for the 129th consecutive season starting at 10 a.m. Saturday.
All mothers will ride free on Mother’s Day, in honor of the 80th birthday of James Glynn, chairman of the Maid of the Mist Corp.
This year also marks James Glynn’s 64th consecutive season with the Maid of the Mist.
This season brings a number of enhancements to the Maid of the Mist experience:
• Online ticketing (www.maidofthemist.com)
• A redesigned, smart phones- and tablet-friendly Maid of the Mist website
• Free Wi-Fi on board the Maid of the Mist and in the area of the Observation Tower
• QR codes on signage at the ticket booth, the Observation Deck, on board and in the Maid of the Mist Store, allowing guests to easily learn more about the storied history of the Maid of the Mist before, during and after the boat ride
• Renovated on board restrooms
Operating hours through May 16 are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., weekdays; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., weekends. Victoria Day Weekend, May 17-18: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; May 19-23, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Memorial Day Weekend: Saturday and Sunday, May 24-25, 9:15 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, May 26, 9:15 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Extended summer hours will begin May 27.
While this year’s opening date is a few weeks later than the previous two years, since 1948, the average opening date of the Maid of the Mist season is May 8.
Since 1846, and continuously since 1885, Maid of the Mist vessels have safely taken millions of visitors on a voyage to the base of Niagara Falls, where they enjoy an unequalled view of one of the wonders of the world, feel the mist on their face and hear the roar of the Falls.
“For 129 years, the Maid of the Mist has been on the bucket-list of the world’s most famous, and not so famous visitors to Niagara Falls, and 2014 continues this genuine tradition,” said Christopher Glynn, president of the Maid of the Mist.