Niagara Gazette — It’s the day when nearly everyone is Irish but there’s more than just St. Patrick to celebrate here on Sunday.
In addition to paying tribute to the patron of the Emerald Isle, it’s the anniversary of the City of Niagara Falls, chartered by New York state on March 17, 1892, and the birthday of the Niagara Falls Gazette, launched as a daily newspaper on March, 17, 1893. (It was founded as a weekly in 1854).
In Niagara Falls, the Ancient Order of Hibernians — the Rev. James J. Browne Division — and the Ladies AOH will host the city’s official St. Patrick’s Day celebration from 5 to 10 p.m. Sunday at the Conference Center-Niagara Falls, Rainbow Boulevard. Prior to the party indoors, the AOH will stage what has become known as “The World’s Shortest Parade,” kicking off at 4:45 p.m. at the corner of Old Falls Street and proceeding about 75 feet to the conference center entrance.
St. Patrick’s Day actually marks he date of his death, March 17, 493, at a monastery in Ulster. The date and place of his birth is uncertain. Historians note that as a teenager Patrick was taken captive to Ireland and forced to work as herdsman. After escaping from those dreary chores, he studied for the priesthood and later, as a bishop, helped convert Ireland, then a pagan nation.
Michael Maloney, a local attorney and longtime AOH member, noted that documents show that when the Legislature approved the charter to incorporate Niagara Falls on March 16, 1892, state Assemblyman T.V. Welch, a local resident, asked the governor to delay signing the papers for one day so the city could become a “St. Patrick’s Day” baby.
The Niagara Falls Gazette (its original name) was founded as a weekly newspaper in May 1854. It was launched as a daily on March 17, 1893. a year after the city received its charter.