- SINGER: We put ourselves in their hands We put ourselves in their hands -- doctors and specialists to whom they refer us, physiotherapists, nurses, lab staff et al. Not to mention road and bridge-repairers (vital in this region of potholes and aging infrastructure), firemen, farmers, food processors, conveyors (i.e., truckers), bus or train drivers, mechanics -- the list is obviously endless!
- LETTERS FROM THE ISLAND: Recounting the big role 'Woody' played The big-city paper last week carried a lengthy farewell to retired managing editor Elwood Wardlow. He made the obituary pages at the age of 90, after a distinguished career, with this exception:
- HAMILTON: Another Niagara Falls Boulevard hit-and-run, but who cares? At the cityâ€™s intersection of Niagara Falls Boulevard and the I-190 thereâ€™s a memorial sign thatâ€™s dedicated to a motorcyclist who lost his life at that very spot. I hate signs like that; they are so utterly depressing.
GLYNN: No quick changes with NY marijuana law
That medical marijuana bill that Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law Monday won’t change things overnight. In fact, it may be early 2016 before eligible patients will be able to use the drug.
- GLYNN: Massive hunt for killer ended on Grand Island It was a murder destined to be seared into the conscience of this nation.
- SINGER: Thinking about an earlier era of instability Today's decadence, along with a Niagara gorge-like gulf between so-called Right and Left unfortunately remind one of Germany's Weimar Republic, before Hitler assumed power early in 1933, rapidly becoming a dictator.
- LETTERS FROM THE ISLAND: Technology the 'route' of the problem We've learned more when we're lost than when we knew where we were. And two recent ventures have convinced us that we'll never, ever, gear up with one of those pathfinding devices.
- COPS NOTEBOOK: Taking a second look at State Parks Police site A lesson learned from my last column. Sometimes when you rant, you can actually start an informed conversation.
- HAMILTON: Newspapers, weeds and drug rehab centers A lot of people just don't read the paper -- and it shows. A friend of mine saw me out recently and told me that she had meant to call me, and then complained about the 3-foot high grass that was in the lot next to hers. I responded, "Why are you telling me about it?"
GLYNN: It's a little late to start shooting off fireworks
Why all the fuss over the Fourth of July?
According to an always reliable source — the National Geographic News —if we’re celebrating Independence Day on Friday, it will be two days too late.
- More Columns Headlines