Niagara Gazette — Things changed population wise and in 1938 the Board of Education voted to close the school as enrollment decreased. The last principal was Miss Mary D. Hiller who served for over 25 years. The building became a storage facility until 1946 when it reopened for adult education classes.
A fire destroyed part of the building on March 14, 1950, but it was rebuilt and opened again in 1952 thanks to a donation of $30,000 from the William Wallace and Clara Greenly Kincaid Education Foundation. All told, over the years the cost of this school was $103,046.48.
In 1976 the building was sold for $42,210.00 and was converted to apartments. Recent years have not been good for the former Whitney Avenue School. From 1998 following ownership of James Strassburg, the building changed hands several times with the selling price increasing dramatically from $265,000 to $450,000 in 2004. Following another fire in 2007, it was transferred to new owners for $1. In 2012, the city took it over in rem and remains the current owner. The building sits empty and forlorn and the future does not look very bright.Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.