Niagara Gazette — Kostoff’s history continued, “The business continued to expand, so that Hubbs went full-time into the hotel business.
Hubbs, a dedicated teetotaler, would not even allow alcoholic beverages served with meals in his dining room. The late City Historian Marjorie Williams told a story of how the hotel came to be named.
Seems a couple of gentlemen, told by Hubbs they could not drink in his dining room, went elsewhere for food and refreshments. When they returned that night, they tacked a sign on a pillar of the long verandah proclaiming “Temperance House.”
Hubbs thought that was a good idea and made it the official name of his hotel.”
By 1930 the City Directory listed “47 main hotels,” including, of course, the grand Hotel Niagara and the world famous Red Coach Inn which opened for business on Aug. 30, 1923.
Today, the exact number of hotels located within the city is difficult to pin down in part because so many that serve the visitors, guests and tourists that flock to the city nearly year-round now have choices on the outskirts of the city, making the falls easily accessible within minutes by car, but clearly, the city as well as the traveling public will benefit by ending the nearly decades-long city hotel construction drought and encouraging a much needed smart new hotel building boom that will witness the rise of world class accommodations that people will enjoy almost as much as they enjoy the natural wonders.
And hopefully this August’s recess is just what is necessary to permit all of the players to calmly clear the path toward a beneficial construction storm signaling the start of a new season formed in a whole new climate.
Now that would be a storm we could all appreciate!Contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org