Niagara Gazette — From the time of the dedication, October 1868, to June of 1919, 22 ministers had served the congregation. The longest serving pastor was the Rev. O.C. Poland at seven years. Membership grew from 52 to 403 and a pipe organ was installed during this period. Many internal clubs and societies were formed. During this time, St. Paul’s was also active in the organization of a number of other churches in the Falls.
More on this next year, as this week marks the end of 2013 and celebrations are scheduled at various public eating and drinking establishments throughout the city. Wikipedia states “The Romans dedicated New Year’s Day to Janus, the god of gates, doors and beginnings, for whom the first month of the year, January, is also named. “The month originally owes its name to the deity Janus who had two faces, one looking forward and the other looking backward.” It’s good to look back now and then as we do in this column but it’s even better to keep moving the city forward while learning from its past. Happy New Year to all.
Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.