Niagara Gazette — The architect E. E. Joralemon, built a grand three-story brick building with a beautiful rotunda extending from the basement to the glass roof. By 1920 it became necessary to appropriate another $320,000 for an annex for the gymnasium and vocational shops. During this period of construction, on Jan. 24, 1922, the original main building was completely destroyed by a fire at an estimated loss of $650,000. A few firemen were injured but not seriously and there was no loss of life but the building burned through the night illuminating the sky a great distance away.
Classes were scattered wherever they could be accommodated and when the annex was completed the burned out portion of the school was demolished to make ready for the construction of the new Niagara Falls High School.
There is much sadness at this time within these walls as one of the founders of the NACC and its first executive director, the Rev. Hal Faba passed away on May 1. We are proud that his last professional theatrical act was as director of the play, “Over The Tavern” presented in this grand old building earlier this year. He shall be remembered as a mentor to all of us and a reminder to “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” — Margaret Mead.
Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.