- Bob Confer
- CONFER: Obama should focus on energy and people President Obama will be visiting the area in the coming days and we're told that his focus will be on improving the economy and strengthening the middle class. With our region's long history of decline in once-mighty blue collar employment there is no better place to share such a message.
CONFER: Jaclyn Smith is part of what's killing Kmart
Last week while shopping at the Wellsville Kmart I was startled to see that the face and name of the one-time Charlie's Angels star were gracing the home products and apparel aisles. Nothing against the ageless beauty, but her ship sailed long ago. Her peak of celebrity was in the late 1970s and her fame has been spotty at best in the past 3 decades.
- CONFER: Be thankful for fire and EMS volunteers If there was one thing that Niagara County residents can take from the powerful storms that besieged the western end of the county on July 19th and left its infrastructure and residences crippled for anywhere from 12 to 36 hours, it is this: We are blessed to have so many people who care enough about our community that they would willingly give of their time and energy to protect its people and property.
- CONFER: In defense of 'Stand Your Ground' Imagine that you are involved in a potentially deadly situation in which a group of thugs has approached you and threatened violence. In a perfect world, you would defend yourself by exercising your natural right to self-defense by brandishing a firearm to scare them off or, if necessary, fire upon them to neutralize the threat, exerting the same deadly force they had intended to use upon you.
- CONFER: Competition under the employer mandate Much has been said over the past few years about Obamacare's employer mandate and what the new cost structure will mean to compliant businesses which will be forced to charge higher prices for their products to cover their newfound, or higher, healthcare expenses. Those costs can be dangerous for those businesses when competing against manufacturers from other nations which already lack some of the cost and regulatory burdens that our producers face.
- CONFER; What exactly is the 'gun culture?' In the nonstop coverage of the murder charges surrounding former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, 2 words keep surfacing in all the sports talk radio banter: "Gun culture".
- CONFER: Ex-cons can be a good investment Earlier this year I took a group of local organizational leaders on a tour of the factory after which I told them that a quarter of our machine operators have what would be considered colorful criminal backgrounds; some had lengthy stays in prison while others are or were under probation.
- CONFER; New York needs to correct engineer training loophole New York state's Office of the Professions regulates 50 professions that require licensure or certification. Some of the 800,000 practitioners under its watch are certified public accountants, physicians, and psychologists.
- CONFER: Obamacare: The great unknown I consider myself fairly versed on the nuances of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (a.k.a Obamacare). Iâ€™ve studied the Act for years (even before its adoption), given lectures to local community groups about it, and written about it in these pages and elsewhere.
- CONFER: Cost of Medicaid is unreasonable If you're a homeowner you know that Medicaid has a dreadful effect on the overall quality of life of those who don't use its services. More than half of your Niagara County property tax bill goes towards Medicaid, costing you hundreds of dollars every year.
- More Bob Confer Headlines