- Bob Confer
- CONFER: State bill would mandate parenting classes S142-2013, under review by the state Senate education committee now, would require parents of elementary school age children to attend parent support programs and workshops, including one concerning abuse in its various forms. If they didn't, their kids wouldn't be allowed to enter seventh grade.
- CONFER: Opening the gates to Common Core For many, Bill Gates â€" he of the $67 billion net worth â€" is looked at as a hero for American education. Through his Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, he has invested millions in the development and introduction of the Common Core standards, the latest and allegedly greatest remodeling of teaching as we knew it.
CONFER: What Common Core means to education's stakeholders
Common Core is an unwelcome addition to our educational system. It's an all-out assault on classroom performance, individual privacy and America's competitive position in the global economy.
- CONFER: Big Brother takes a seat in the classroom In my last column I looked at New York's mass data-mining experiment related to Common Core in which the Empire State is collecting individual academic histories of every student to be shared across school districts, within the state's educational bureaucracy and with commercial third parties.
- CONFER: Common Core and your family's data Common Core's reliance on individual and aggregate student data is not entirely unexpected, as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation remains the largest funding source for Common Core Inc.
- CONFER: Common Core devalues creativity "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
CONFER: Who is behind the Common Core standards?
While the National Governors Association was instrumental in promoting and distributing the Common Core standards, it was an organization that calls itself Achieve, Inc. that created the standards themselves.
CONFER: Common Core: Welcome to more of the same
It's not coincidental that as standardized testing has become the norm at all grade levels nationwide, the outcomes have suffered. The 'new' rage in education, Common Core State Standards, promises more of the same.
- CONFER: An introduction to the Common Core It's OK to be upset about the new 'Common Core' learning standards for our children, but do we know why we're upset? Some public education in the subject is necessary.
- CONFER: Feral hogs should be fair game for farmers, hunters Feral hogs - wild free-roaming pigs - are the latest in a never-ending series of invasive species having a huge impact on our economy and environment.
- More Bob Confer Headlines