- Bob Confer
CONFER: Who is behind the Common Core standards?
While the National Governors Association was instrumental in promoting and distributing the Common Core standards, it was an organization that calls itself Achieve, Inc. that created the standards themselves.
CONFER: Common Core: Welcome to more of the same
It's not coincidental that as standardized testing has become the norm at all grade levels nationwide, the outcomes have suffered. The 'new' rage in education, Common Core State Standards, promises more of the same.
- CONFER: An introduction to the Common Core It's OK to be upset about the new 'Common Core' learning standards for our children, but do we know why we're upset? Some public education in the subject is necessary.
- CONFER: Feral hogs should be fair game for farmers, hunters Feral hogs - wild free-roaming pigs - are the latest in a never-ending series of invasive species having a huge impact on our economy and environment.
- CONFER: 'Food Safety' act: Government run amok Slowly but surely, many aspects of the 2011 Food Safety Modernization Act have taken effect and are just now affecting farms and their customers. Many more regulations are coming down the pike.
- CONFER: A look at state Props 2, 3 and 6 New York voters will see six propositions on the general election ballot next week. Propositions 2, 3 and 6 affect some military veterans, municipal debt loads and the terms of office of our eldest state judges.
- CONFER: A look at state propositions 4, 5 Of the six statewide propositions on November ballots, items 4 and 5 will likely be ignored voters on this side of the state, since they are focused on issues in the Adirondacks. That's a shame, because the questions are not strictly regional in nature.
- CONFER: Proposition 1 is a losing bet This November there will be six statewide propositions on New York ballots. Over the next three weeks, I will give you the background - and my two cents - on each, so you can go to the polls prepared to make an informed decision rather than being caught off guard by what's on the screen before you.
- CONFER: Three federal government entities that could be shut down In the weeks leading up to the so-called government shutdown we were led to believe that the apocalypse was upon us. Not surprisingly, when it did hit, the Niagara River kept flowing, the winds didn't stop, and, magically, the Earth kept spinning.
- CONFER: Obamacare harmful to chambers of commerce Obamacare's health insurance marketplaces (exchanges) will put stress on chambers by taking away their ability to attract members solely on the basis of health care.
- More Bob Confer Headlines
- CONFER: Who is behind the Common Core standards?