- Bob Confer
- CONFER: New York has a goose problem It's obvious to everyone but the most ardent animal lovers that we have a serious problem on our hands with the monstrous Canada goose population. There are now so many resident geese that they have become as ubiquitous and unpopular as ring-billed gulls ("sea gulls"), birds that many people unaffectionately consider flying rats. Unlike gulls, which tend to be an obstacle only to development (see Lockport's Super WalMart), resident geese pose real problems to the environment, the economy, and human safety.
- CONFER: Legalize cell phone jamming devices What a wonderful world it would be if restaurateurs could maintain civility in their dining rooms, teachers could teach attentive students, and workers could commit themselves to the task at hand.
- CONFER: Ease the tax growth on farmers The burden placed upon farmers is mammoth, even with help that they get in the form of special agricultural assessments, farm building exemptions, and school tax credits. When it comes to the final tax bill, New York farmers pay an average of $38.41 per farm acre.
- CONFER: Country living is the life for me I quite often get into discussions with folks from the Big City who wonder why I choose to live in rural Eastern Niagara County which is, in their eyes, so far away from everything.
- CONFER: Obama should focus on energy and people President Obama will be visiting the area in the coming days and we're told that his focus will be on improving the economy and strengthening the middle class. With our region's long history of decline in once-mighty blue collar employment there is no better place to share such a message.
CONFER: Jaclyn Smith is part of what's killing Kmart
Last week while shopping at the Wellsville Kmart I was startled to see that the face and name of the one-time Charlie's Angels star were gracing the home products and apparel aisles. Nothing against the ageless beauty, but her ship sailed long ago. Her peak of celebrity was in the late 1970s and her fame has been spotty at best in the past 3 decades.
- CONFER: Be thankful for fire and EMS volunteers If there was one thing that Niagara County residents can take from the powerful storms that besieged the western end of the county on July 19th and left its infrastructure and residences crippled for anywhere from 12 to 36 hours, it is this: We are blessed to have so many people who care enough about our community that they would willingly give of their time and energy to protect its people and property.
- CONFER: In defense of 'Stand Your Ground' Imagine that you are involved in a potentially deadly situation in which a group of thugs has approached you and threatened violence. In a perfect world, you would defend yourself by exercising your natural right to self-defense by brandishing a firearm to scare them off or, if necessary, fire upon them to neutralize the threat, exerting the same deadly force they had intended to use upon you.
- CONFER: Competition under the employer mandate Much has been said over the past few years about Obamacare's employer mandate and what the new cost structure will mean to compliant businesses which will be forced to charge higher prices for their products to cover their newfound, or higher, healthcare expenses. Those costs can be dangerous for those businesses when competing against manufacturers from other nations which already lack some of the cost and regulatory burdens that our producers face.
- CONFER; What exactly is the 'gun culture?' In the nonstop coverage of the murder charges surrounding former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, 2 words keep surfacing in all the sports talk radio banter: "Gun culture".
- More Bob Confer Headlines