Shirts of Miller, Pominville are hot
Jason Pominville didn’t even start last season in a Buffalo uniform, but now his name is on the back of plenty of Sabres’ jerseys.
Pominville, who has nine goals in his first 14 games, ranked sixth in jersey sales through the month of October, according to NHL.com.
In fact, five of the top 10 selling jerseys are Sabres and sales of the team’s merchandise are up 1,170 percent.
Here’s the list:
1. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh; 2. Ryan Miller, Buffalo; 3. Alexander Ovechkin, Washington; 4. Maxim Afinogenov , Buffalo
5. Chris Drury, Buffalo; 6. Jason Pominville , Buffalo; 7. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh; 8. Peter Forsberg, Philadelphia; 9. Daniel Briere, Buffalo; 10. Jaromir Jagr, New York Rangers.
Miller named NHL’s best of October
As you might expect with the best opening month in franchise history, the awards keep streaming in for the Sabres, who play at Boston tonight.
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller was named the National Hockey League’s First Star for October, posting an 8-0-1 record with a 2.36 goals against average.
Miller’s 3-0 shutout over the New York Islanders was one of many highlights as the goalie finished nine games with a .921 save percentage
“I think it's well deserved,” Lindy Ruff said. “He's won us games and made key saves when games were on the line.”
Pyatt riding Sedins’ coattails
Only a near-perfect start for the Sabres has allowed fans to stomach the news that Taylor Pyatt, he who took underachieving to a new level, leads the Vancouver Canucks with six goals through the team’s first dozen games.
“He’s big and has good hands in front of the net so I’m not surprised at all,” Daniel Sedin told the Vancouver Province about Pyatt. “Hopefully, he can keep it going.”
If he stays healthy, chances are he can. Last season, Anson Carter finished with 33 goals, the most on the Canucks, after playing with Sedin and his twin brother, Henrik. After signing a $2.5 million contract with Columbus — and parting ways with the high-flying twins — Carter has lit the lamp just once this year.
“I didn't realize how good they were until I had a chance to come here and see them first- hand and play along side them,” Pyatt said of the Sedins.
UPDATE: Lockport man charged with attempted murder of 7-year-old
A 28-year-old Lockport man has now been charged with the attempted murder of a 7-year-old girl.
A woman called 911 just after 2 p.m. New Year's Eve to report a man was attacking her child. Police say the woman said, "79 Monroe, he is killing my baby" before the line was disconnected, according to Channel 4 News.
Niagara Gazette Blogs
Click the individual web ads for daily commentary from our staffers.
- BLOGGIN' IN THE PAINT: NU star focuses on hoops amid personal losses Niagara University's star senior enters the season as a top contender for Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference player of the year honors. Read his blog here.
- BLOGGIN' IN THE PAINT: NU's Charron Fisher talks pasta dinners, preparing for the week ahead After a loss, the ride back home is never fun. Stanley Hodge and I stayed awake and watched the film from the game and saw a lot of the mistakes that we made, and things that we need to improve on. Most of the rest of the team slept the whole way back because it’s sort of an unwritten rule that you can’t be up talking, joking around and having fun after a loss.
- UBEAT: Garcia gets digs record Contribute commentary to this weblog by e-mailing email@example.com.
- NUWS: Clements gets first win Contribute your thoughts to this Niagara Purple Eagles blog by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NU BLOG: March 2007 Purple Eagles coach will be a guest on ESPN Radio at 2 p.m. Sunday.
- ERIE COUNTY BLOG: Control board OKs controversial borrowing Erie County’s Legislature was in a tizzy at its June 5 meeting, a response to a last second letter from Control Board Chairman Anthony Baynes.
- FIRST-YEAR TEACHER BLOG: My Final Blog Michael Hamner is in his first year teaching social studies at LaSalle Middle School. The following is his blog on his teaching experience.
- ERIE COUNTY BLOG: Candidates line up for Legislature Several candidates running for Erie County Legislature in November, when all 15 seats are up for election, showed up at Thursday’s meeting.
- More Blogs Headlines
- UPDATE: Lockport man charged with attempted murder of 7-year-old