Niagara Gazette

January 2, 2013

Bail lowered for suspect in child attack

BY BILL WOLCOTT
Niagara Gazette

Niagara Gazette — LOCKPORT — Bail was reduced from $1 million to $500,000 Wednesday for the 28-year-old man accused of trying to kill a 7-year-old girl at her home on Monday.

David L. Alfonso has been charged with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree assault and second-degree strangulation. He pleaded not guilty and is being held at the Niagara County Jail. Alfonso has a return court date at Lockport City Court on Monday.

Cassandra Castro, the mother of the victim, told police that Alfonso attacked her daughter in the house and choked her until she was unconsciousness. He then placed his hand into her mouth and broke out teeth. He also caused a apparent tongue injury and tried to rip her jaw off.

The mother stabbed Alfonso with a kitchen butcher knife to get him to stop, according to the report.

It’s not clear how the  girl escaped. She ran to her grandmother's house on Church Street about two blocks away.

The mother called 911 and as Patrolman Kendra DiTullio responded to the call, Alfonso, who was covered with blood, jumped on her car and began pounding on the police car, according to Police Chief Larry Eggert.

DiTullio closed the door, backed away and called for assistance. Police eventually used a Taser to subdue Alfonso.

At about the same time police were taking Alfonso into custody, police officers were approached by Castro who was armed with butcher knife. The girl's mother explained to police that Alfonso had just tried to kill her daughter in the house. 

The girl was eventually found at her grandmother's house and told officers she had been assaulted by Alfonso. The girl was transported to Children's Hospital for treatment of assault injuries to her neck, throat, jaw, tongue and teeth. She was listed in stable condition.